According to a panel of Canadian and US scientists, the daily intake of fibre for women aged 50 and under is 25g, and for men its 38g. Women over 50 require 21g and men require 30g. This isn’t because as you get older, you need less, it’s because as you age your body doesn’t need as many calories.
Unfortunately, many of us in North America only consume 50% of the recommended daily intake. So why is it so important for us to get the full recommended daily intake and why is this so detrimental for our health and well being? The issue is that by not consuming atleast the recommended daily intake of fibre, we could be putting ourselves at a bigger risk of some major health issues, ones that are bigger than irregular bowel movements.
Before society was introduced into todays processed fake fibres lots of different whole foods contained a whole whack of healthy mixed fibres – whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies. Sadly today, companies are adding in isolated (bad) fibres in powder form to foods that should not even contain ANY fibre at all. The simple question still remains ‘but why?', no one knows. Lets look at how fibre can help you avoid some major health issues;
- Natural hemp oils found in hemp hearts contain plant sterols reducing risk of colon cancer.
- High in magnesium which helps with keeping blood vessels healthy, improving cardiovascular health and reducing risk for heart disease.
- High in manganese, magnesium, folate, and phosphorous preventing diabetes and aiding those with it.
- Low in calories. Full of vitamins and minerals to aid breakdown of fats. Perfect for those wanting weight loss, or those needing help with obesity.
- A complete protein, high in fibre, making it easy to digest so the body doesn’t have to work hard to break it down or store it in the stomach for long, helping with regularity.
- Reduces secretion of bile acids which are linked to colon cancer.
- Lowers cholesterol, aiding in lower risks of heart disease.
- Balances blood sugar levels reducing diabetes risk and diabetic complications with those already diagnosed
- High in soluble fibre, aiding in slower digestion and an extended sensation of fullness, helping those with weight loss and/or obesity.
- Helps to rid the body of toxins due to high soluble fibre, helping with regularity.
- Anticarcinogenic due to high fibre content, aiding in colon health and preventing colon cancer.
- Reduces levels of imflammation in the heart, prevents fatty deposits and supports cardiovascular health helping with the prevention of heart disease.
- Stabilizes blood sugar. Supporting diabetes prevention and conditions.
- Reduces cravings for sweets, boosts metabolism, and high antioxidant, great for weight loss and management and those struggling with obesity.
- Easily digestible and high in fibre helping you with your regularity and prevention of colon cancer.
- Highest dietary source of magnesium, supporting your heart, decreasing blood pressure, lowering bad cholesterol, and dilating blood vessels, amazing for heart disease prevention
- High in dietary fibre and rich in antioxidants (richest natural source!) aiding with regularity, obesity, and the prevention of colon cancer.